Copyright 2008-2018 Weavers' Guild of St. Louis
2016 Study Group Expo at the Univercity City Library
As part of its support of education in the fiber arts, the Weavers’ Guild of St. Louis sponsors ongoing study groups in several specialized areas of interest to members. These are informal groups that usually meet once a month at a member’s home to share ideas, results, problems and solutions, and/or to work as a group on joint projects in a particular area.
Study Group Grants and Guidelines
Revised August 15, 2017
In December 2014, members of the Weavers’ Guild of St. Louis (WGSL) voted to approve a proposal specifying that “…a sum of $100 be budgeted annually for each functioning Study Group.” These grants are not automatic and are subject to the following guidelines:
- The annual granting period is from January 1 through December 31 of each calendar year. Applications for a given calendar year must be submitted by November 15 to allow sufficient time for review.
- The annual grants are to support new learning experiences. A Study Group seeking a grant must submit an application to the Finance Committee. The application should describe the proposed learning project and should include an itemized list of the costs of any materials, supplies, and/or services required to carry it out. An application form can be found on the Guild website.
- Once the application is approved, the Guild will provide up to $100/calendar-year toward the purchase of the materials, supplies, and/or services requested.
- Invoices and/or receipts should be submitted to the Treasurer by December 31 of the current grant year for direct payment to vendors or for reimbursement.
- Study Group Grants are to support new learning experiences described in the application. Fiber art created from materials and supplies purchased using these funds belongs to the learner. Equipment purchased with the funds belongs to the WGSL, but may be used by the purchasing Study Group as long as that group is active.
- At least once every two years, Study Groups receiving grant funds are to share what they have learned through participation in a WGSL Study Group Fair, Study Group Expo or another appropriate WGSL program.
- Under special circumstances, a Study Group may apply for up to $200 in a given year. Such special requests require approval of the Board of Directors in addition to the committee. A Study Group receiving more than $100 in a given calendar year would not be allowed to receive a grant during the subsequent calendar year.